RSS

2011 Year of Surgery



Here we are in the middle of the year and I am scheduled for my second surgery of the year. At the end of March, I had an inguinal hernia fixed and to my surprise, the doctor found not one, but two.

Two months later, I get back into my exercise routine and am ready to get back into shape, but get derailed after a bike accident. On my way home from a ladies night outing with friends, I clipped a brown trash can in the bike lane. It was dark and there weren't any reflectors on the can. While I had a light, I did not see the can.

I hit the ground hard. My bike helmet suffered a piercing dent around the area of my left temple. I truly believe I would've been in a coma or dead if it weren't for my helmet. Instead, I suffered a bunch of road rash on my knees, hands, shoulder, and face. My right hand was pretty bruised as well as my left hip. And I have a type 3 separated shoulder which means the cartilage between my shoulder joint and clavicle were completely torn. Since there isn't any overlap of the bones, surgery is my best bet for a "full" recovery. The cartilage will be reattached, I'll have 4 weeks in a sling, plus another 4 weeks of physical therapy that I am sure I will need to continue for months.

Here's to hoping I don't see the inside of an operating room for at least another year, but preferably, never!


0 comments:

Post a Comment